Today’s project is a cheat! There is no actual pin for it. It was, however, inspired by the denim apron in Tutorial #1. It is a bag. I actually still have to sew the buttons on the side and the strap, but I decided to share this one because I couldn’t find a lamp shade that was suitable for the bottle lamp I made! Go figure.
Sometimes I struggle so to find the right accessories.
Jeans Front and portion of one leg
Coordinating fabric – about 2/3 yard
Needle and thread
2 Buttons (Optional)
These instructions are non-specific. Measurements are variable depending on your jeans size. All stitching is zigzagged with wrong sides together.
- Cut the Front just above the crotch so that the front will lie flat.
- I had to cut the waistband and fold it under the zipper and secure. Just work with it.
- For the back of the bag, cut a piece of the leg to the same height as the front.
- Make a pocket out of the coordinating fabric and stitch to back.
- Stitch the front to the leg on both sides.
- Fold the front sides to the back, leaving the zipper at center front. Press.
- Measure the bag and cut lining from coordinating fabric leaving ½” seam allowances on both sides and the bottom and 1” seam allowance on the top.
- Make a pocket for the inside and sew to right side of lining.
- Seam sides and bottom of lining.
- Insert lining into bag, fold under top edge and stitch to bag.
- Using remainder of jeans leg, cut strips 1-3/4”-2” wide and stitch together to form strap of desired length.
- Fold edges under and to the center. Press
- Cut a strip of the lining fabric to match the strap.
- Fold strap lining edges under and to the center. Press.
- Stitch strap and lining together.
- Attach strap to bag. I am adding buttonholes to my strap and buttons to the side of the bag. You can just sew it on, or use snaps.
- Add a magnetic closure if desired.
I’m actually rather fond of this bag. Think I’ll use it tomorrow.