Dreams May Be

19 Mar

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. – Mark Twain

oh, if I had taken this advice well over 20 years ago… My adventures were short-lived and rather mundane in the general scheme of things. I found myself lacking the confidence to throw off the negative, biting voices in my head and my heart.

I really didn’t find confidence and a sense of adequacy until I was in my fortieth year. One decision changes a world. A moment of indecision changes a life.

Today I am going to begin my bucket list. I figure I will never perform on Broadway, but I can experience it vicariously once again. I may never again have the opportunity to work at Radio City, but I can enjoy a show there. I may never make a million dollars, but I can live as though I have. I can see things I haven’t seen and do things I haven’t done.

Visiting Romania is on my list. I have to find Vlad. I’m fascinated. I saw Dracula on Broadway a very long time ago with Frank Langella as the toothy one. It was so sexy! Sherri says she’ll go with me. A-hunting we will go into the Carpathian Mountains, Transylvania, and Bran Castle. I wonder how many vampire jokes we can come up with in a month long journey….hmmm. No doubt they will be many and varied.

I will take a three wheeled motorcycle through the heather in Scotland and visit Northern Ireland and all the locations Game of Thrones has used.

I will visit British Columbia.

I will sleep on a beach one evening, just for fun.

I will take a helicopter over the Hawaiian Islands.

I will travel the States from coast to coast and take a train to San Francisco.

I will travel by train through Europe.

Just think, if it comes down to it, I can do it all from my desk, except for that Romania thing. That will be in color and in person.

If you are young and have dreams, follow them for all of us who chose a bit differently.

We will cheer you on.

6 Responses to “Dreams May Be”

1. MisBehaved Woman March 19, 2013 at 9:52 pm #

Romania would be SUCH a blast! Good to know I’m not the only one with funky travel-adventure taste. Bela Lugosi was the Vlad that forever set the vampire-love in my heart, tho. 😀

So many dreams, coulda, woulda, shouldas…do you also get torn between wanting to long for what might’ve been but hitting that brick wall of realizing that altering so much as one single moment of the past would unravel all the good parts of the here and now? I’ll never play Carnegie Hall but I learned to use a 3.25hp plunge router with full confidence when I was 35 so hey, who knows what I can still do or learn to do next? I guess life is really only as much of an adventure as we choose to make it, eh?

• thepolkadotskirt March 20, 2013 at 7:37 pm #

Oh yes, I have played that game….and I usually come to the same stunning conclusion….and it involves my kids! I know you can guess. You have to go with us to Roumania…I know we’re going to do this one day. It’s a dream, but I’m thinking a year or two into retirement I can pull it off! You’ll love Sherri…she’s a funny lady…really funny, does a bit of stand-up in between payroll processing for gazillions.

So plan on it for 2021.

________________________________

• MisBehaved Woman March 21, 2013 at 9:48 am #

I love days like this when hubby comes home and asks if anything interesting happened during the day…today I got to tell him, “Meh…nothin’ much…just started planning a trip to Romania, honey…” 😀 Considering I spent our last vacay dragging him through every cemetery in New Orleans, could he really be surprised by Romania???

It is the same end result that gets me, too…the kids, always. I can’t *unwish* anything without undoing their existence and well…end of wishing for anything to be different.

• thepolkadotskirt March 21, 2013 at 3:46 pm #

I love that you passed that on to your husband! I went to the doctor today…told her about Roumania. She asked if my Bob would go with and I said ‘Who care?’. We will prolly have more fun with just us girls! And it would be cheaper too!

Our last vacay was Disney World…we didn’t make it out of the house for our annual Thanksgiving trip since I was relieved of my job and we didn’t know what to expect. There were eight of us including our friends and their son and we tromped through all 4 parks, visited Universal, saw Cirque at downtown Disney, and Blue Man at Universal! In 7 days. I walked so much and expended so much energy that on the way home I ate my way through the snack bag!

It is always the kids. I raised them with skillful neglect.

________________________________

• MisBehaved Woman March 21, 2013 at 10:42 pm #

After a decade together, I don’t think much that comes out of my mouth can rattle Steve anymore. My itchy feet and urge to roam from here to there are just accepted; sometimes he goes with, other times I take off with friends. I can’t work full time with my arthritic hands anymore but we take on side jobs to cover the jaunts.

I was at Disneyland a couple of years ago…not as big as DW, I’m sure but I still love it to pieces. I’m apparently still 4 years old on some level and the *classic* Alice In Wonderland, Tea Cups and all those goofy rides just tickle me to death and I bounce around like a kid on candied crack! And then I go home and sleep for no less than 18 hours in order to recover because all that bouncing wears out my more-than-4-year-old knees… 😉

• thepolkadotskirt March 22, 2013 at 10:33 am #

Disney World was great, but I didn’t have time to stop and enjoy the street shows and the little things that amuse and amaze. You have to stand in line for the best rides of course, and that is a time consuming adventure. Bob and I actually loved Downtown Disney…the shopping and the picture posing and the ride on the water from one end to the other was just so relaxing as was dinner with friends.

I actually go giddy when confronted with an ocean! We spent a couple of days in Myrtle Beach in March a few years back…and I just giggled and ran into the cold waves and back again over and over. I forgot the pain…I forgot the worries…something about the vastness, the beauty of water crashing against the sand…I love lakes too, but oceans are really special.

Bob and Steve might just get along well. Bob is no longer surprised by anything I do… or say!

________________________________

Oh please, oh please, oh please share your thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Dawne Design

Let the light shine . . .

GrandLUV.net

It takes a village to raise a child . . .

Losing and Gaining. The EPIC adventure

One girls journey with weight loss

Mast Musings

Food for Thought

StorySnapper

Behind Every Photograph Is A Story

Custom Pieces

This WordPress.com site is the cat’s pajamas

Stick Horse Cowgirls

Word Gigging. A Southern Woman's Random Mental Meanderings. Blogging.

Good Life Farm

in pursuit of a full heart, home, and belly.

Leaving Perfection Learning Grace

A journey through eating disorder recovery and beyond

littlepoppits

♥ a crazy mix of a whole bunch of stuff ♥

Crafted in Carhartt

about women who do amazing things

valeriu dg barbu